Thursday, April 14, 2011

Piracy is good

Piracy, it scares the people of the entertainment industry. Major chunk of the entertainment industries market share and revenues are affected by privacy. But ask the consumers they would say it is the boon they have got. They can consume their favourite entertainment product anywhere, however they want. There is always a debate whether piracy is good or bad and for whom it’s for?

I belong to the Entertainment Industry as a producer and consumer of entertainment products. “Piracy is Good” is what I would state but in different contexts to the current entertainment industry. When piracy was made illegal people where downloading, when the rules where even more strict nothing changed. The law acted and took down the websites which sooner led to more offspring’s. The awareness about privacy went into deaf ears.

Why is it Good for consumer
“It’s Free”
“It’s Easy”
“I’m Lazy to go out and Buy”
“It’s Eco-Friendly”
“It’s fast”
“It’s Convenient”

Why is it Good for Industry
With or without knowing Napster has spotted the Next market for entertainment products. Apple was the only company to understand and monetise the Napster way. Yes I’m talking about iTunes. It made business out of every type of consumer mentioned above except for “It’s Free”.

Understanding the consumer and the product and then pricing it will definitely encourage people to buy the original content. Let’s assume if I make a content which is not worth a premium pricing and charge it a premium my consumer will definitely would like to watch it for various reasons but not ready to pay that premium price. My content is then pirated and they get to use it for free. If I reasonably price it then I will turn those illegal consumers to legitimate.  No matter what I do those pirates want it for free. Giving the price which my consumer is willing to pay then my content makes money. The business of piracy leads a way for us to understand our consumers. “Piracy is Good “even for me as a producer.

2 comments:

Deepak Prakash said...

But still even if you price your products reasonably and when the people have the option of getting it free they would go for pirated products. I would suggest change the pricing policy (and it’s not a one day process) simultaneously stop piracy. Seriously they should reduce the price of consoles and game DVD’s in India.

Dheerthan Gajapathy said...

Agreed Deepak...Can't change in a day...Read the article on gaming through cloud computing